I remember sitting down to write first wedding thank you card full of excitement and old-fashioned glee. It quickly died – after maybe 6, I became so disenchanted by the whole process. You’re excited, and grateful, and overwhelmed by your generous friends and family… but after writing the same thing half a dozen times, it all feels very contrived.
It would help if your other half would write some of the thank you cards too (because the wedding mags suggest it’s a great idea to do together – HA I’m yet to have my husband pick up a pen and write something other than a shopping list).
Anyway – rant over – a lot of the procrastination with doing thank you cards has to do with figuring out what to say. In most cases, people won’t compare notes, so don’t be worried too much about being repetitive.
Grab thank you note wording
Instantly download a thank you card wording template to write personalised, thoughtful thank you cards for your guests
Thank you card wording template structure
Here’s a template which will help you get through your thank you’s quickly, but will allow you to mix it up a little. (P.S. If this looks complicated, skip this and see the next paragraph with some “ready made” wording suggestions!)
Thank you so much for [Attendance Action: i.e. sharing our wedding day with us/travelling so far to attend our wedding/being an incredible bridesmaid and being there for us on our wedding day.]
We really appreciated the [Gift Acknowledgement: i.e. contribution towards our honeymoon/set of wineglasses/toaster/money towards our house deposit].
We are really looking forward to [Gift Use: snorkelling in Rarotonga/catching up for a drink/seeing you at the house warming – or if it doesn’t fit the gift/relationship you have, say something generic like “We are really looking forward to catching up once we’ve settled into married life”]
Thank you card wording suggestions
Here’s some examples of wording ideas you can modify for your thank yous:
- Thank you so much for travelling so far to attend our wedding day. We really appreciate the money towards our first home deposit. We are really looking forward to being able to invite you to our house warming party!
- Thank you for sharing our wedding day with us. Your generous gift, love, and support is very much appreciated.
- Thank you for being an incredible bridesmaid, and being there with us on our wedding day. We really appreciate everything you did for us, and loved the deluxe toaster! We are really looking forward to catching up once we’ve returned from our honeymoon.
- We would like to thank you for adding to the lovely memories of our special day, and for your kind gift.
- Thank you so much for travelling so far to attend our wedding day. We were so pleased to have you attend. We love the beautiful set of wine glasses you gave us, rest assured they are already in use!
- It was so lovely to see you at our wedding. We really appreciate your contribution towards our honeymoon – we are leaving for Rarotonga in a couple of weeks and we will be putting your gift towards snorkelling. Thank you so much!
- Thank you so much for the lovely set of prints. We cannot wait to get them up on the wall! We can’t express enough how grateful and thankful we are to you for being a part of our special day.