Many couples now request money or gift vouchers in lieu of receiving multiple platters, toasters and vases! The tricky part is communicating this request in a polite way, as it’s seen as presumptuous by the more old-fashioned among us to make any mention of gifts.
Traditionally, there is to be no mention of gifts on the invitation. However many modern couples chose to include a small card with their invitation, with a small wishing well poem or saying.
Check out the video on how to manage asking for gifts with your wedding invitation, and grab the full list of wishing well poems here.
Wishing well poems & wording examples
Below is a few of the more popular wishing well poems for you to use. Download a full list of wishing well poems (even more than below) in an easy to edit/copy/paste format.
- Our two families have come together as one. We really hope you can join in the fun. A wishing well we thought would be great, but only if you wish to participate. A gift of money is placed in the well,then make a special wish, but do not tell! Please do not be offended by our request, as our day is complete having you as a guest.
- If you were thinking of giving a gift to help us on our way. A gift of cash towards our house, would really make our day. However, if you prefer a gift, feel free to surprise us in your own special way.
- The most important thing is to have you with us on our special day. No gifts are needed or expected, however we have been asked what we need or would like and, if you do wish to give us something, a little cash to spend on our honeymoon would be very much appreciated.
- Because at first we lived in sin, we’ve got the sheets and a rubbish bin. A gift from you would be swell but we’d prefer a donation to our Wishing Well. A gift of money is placed in the well, then make a wish but do not tell, cause as the well’s tradition goes, your wishes will come true you know!
- Now we are to be Mr & Mrs, we don’t need a wedding list of dishes. A holiday is what we need, so your help with this would be a great gift indeed. So should you wish to honour us with a gift, we have registered a honeymoon registry at (travel agency) where you can make a contribution to help us make our honeymoon a memory that will last a lifetime.
- More than just kisses so far we’ve shared, our home has been made with love and care. Most things we need we’ve already got, like a toaster and kettle, the pans and the pots. A wishing well we thought would be great, (but only if you wish to participate). A gift of money is placed in the well, then make a wish but do not tell. Once we’ve replaced the old with the new, we can look back and say it was thanks to you! And in return for your kindness, we’re sure that one day soon, you’ll get what you wished for!
Do you have a lovely wishing well poem you can share? Pop it below: