Choosing the right wedding photographer is an important decision. Have you made a list of questions to ask your wedding photographer?
Your wedding day photos will give you a lifetime of memories, which means choosing the perfect photographer should be high on your priority list. To help you in your decision-making, we’re sharing some of the best questions to ask your potential wedding photographer.
Essential Questions to Ask Your Wedding Photographer
Once you’ve made a shortlist of the wedding photographers you are both interested in, it’s time to start asking them plenty of questions. This helps you ensure they are a good fit for your big day and what you hope your wedding photos will end up looking like. It also will help you know how you would like them to manage their work on the day. Professional wedding photographers all have different styles and skills so it’s important you choose the one that is a good match.
You have to want your photographer around on one of the biggest days of your life, feel comfortable pulling silly faces in front of the camera, be willing to cry when they are around, and you have to be able to let yourself go so they can capture images that truly represent you are as a couple.
For that reason, feel free to ask as many questions as you want! Professional photographers will be used to it. When you have an initial meeting with your prospective wedding photographer, here is a list of important questions to ask to find the best wedding photographer for your day –
- Are you available for our wedding date?
- Can we see the full wedding gallery of photos of some of your recent weddings?
- How many years of experience do you have with wedding photography (or, how many weddings have you photographed?)
- Have you shot many that were similar to mine in size and style (especially if particularly large/small)
- How many weddings per season do you photograph?
- Have you ever shot at our wedding venue before?
- Do you have much experience with outdoor weddings?
- Will you be posting about our wedding on your website and social media?
- What is your wedding photography style and your working style? (e.g. traditional, photojournalistic, creative, candid moments, do you shoot what unfolds naturally, or take charge to create shots, are you comfortable with portrait photography?)
- What do you consider your specialty for wedding day photography?
- Are you comfortable working alongside a videographer (if applicable)?
- What packages are available?
- How many hours of coverage are included in each package?
- Can we customize the packages?
- Is there a travel fee? If so, what does that cover?
- Will we have a pre-wedding location scout?
- Can we provide a list of specific shots we would like taken?
- How many edited photos will be provided?
- Will we have access to the full set of unedited photos?
- Do you include engagement session photos in your packages or other pre-wedding events like rehearsal dinners?
- Will we have the high-resolution images as part of the package, or do we have to pay per photo?
- Are there any physical prints included?
The day of your wedding
- Are you the photographer who will shoot my wedding?
- Will you have a second photographer/ assistant?
- Do you want our caterer to provide a meal, and are there any dietary requirements?
- How will you be dressed?
- Will you bring any lighting/do you have a suitable flash for night shots?
- Is there any restriction to others taking photos (guests/vendors)?
- Is there an option or extra charge to go overtime?
After the wedding
- When will we have our first wedding photographs?
- Will we get a sneak peek early on of a few photos?
- Will we select our favorite photos for editing, or will you choose?
- What is the editing process? Are retouching, color adjustment, or other corrective services included?
- How long will it take to provide the full set?
- How are the photographs provided (USB, online, and/or any prints)? If they are accessible online, how long will they be available there?
- When will we receive the contract?
- When is the deposit due?
- Do you provide payment plans?
- When is the balance payable (before or after the wedding?)
- What is your refund or cancellation policy?
- Are there any additional fees I should be aware of?
- Do you have liability insurance?
- Does your assistant photographer have insurance?
- Will we have the rights to the images?
- Do you have a backup plan if for any reason you are unable to shoot our wedding?
- Do you carry backup equipment?
- Can our other vendors share the photographs on their websites as part of their portfolios?
- Will we have control over the future publication of the photographs (magazines, blog posts, advertising)?