Does planning your wedding consume your life? Do you have far too many to-do lists? Have you tried on 12 wedding dresses and your wedding is still three years away?
The chances are you will say yes to all of the above if you have an over-achieving type-A personality with a serious need for full control. If this is you, it might be time to burn your lists and sit back and relax with a stiff drink before people start giving you a wide berth and calling you a bridezilla. Although it’s great to be organised and efficient at planning, being an over organised bride can cause problems.
Top Signs You Are an Over Organised Bride
If you think you may be a super organised bride, chances are you may be right. If you’re not sure, take a look through these top signs over organised brides may have:
- You sent the wedding invites out already, but now you have changed the date and venue. This is a terrible situation to be in, but your best approach is to pick up the phone and be upfront with people. Enlist your bridal party to help if you feel too nervous to break the news to Aunty Mavis.
- You have fallen out with one of your bridesmaids. Make sure communication is open and two- sided. Treat your bridesmaids the way you would want to be treated.
- You organised your own hen’s night. Leave it to the bridesmaids or maid of honour! There is no harm in having a conversation about your likes and dislikes, but you must surrender all control and rein in your over organised bride tendencies.
- Your parents, siblings and friends give each other ”the look” or roll their eyes whenever you start talking about the wedding. It’s important to make everybody feel included. Ask everybody what they would like to see at the wedding and try to incorporate their ideas.
- You have decided you will do every single DIY project for the wedding yourself. Rather than taking on too many projects, pick out a few and do them really well. For the rest (think of the 400 tiny bows you were going to tie) do some research and buy them.
- You bought 200 ceramic candle holders off Ali Express because they were cheap but have since changed your mind on the colour. Don’t jump the gun when it comes to the fine details. Get the bigger picture stuff sorted first and then enjoy organising the finishing touches last.
Stop & Take a Step Back
The reality is that high expectations mixed with unexpected circumstances can turn things into a disaster. If you are an over organised bride, take a deep breath and calm down. Focus on what matters the most to you – like the fact you are getting hitched to the love of your life!