When it comes to alcohol, hiring a wedding venue that's BYO alcohol friendly sounds like a great idea. You can purchase your own alcohol in the quantities you will need. Plus, you can hunt around for the alcohol at the best prices too! But if you are considering using a wedding BYO alcohol friendly venue, there are a few traps to avoid falling in.
We chatted with Leah from Otago’s Encore Events for her advice.
Do I Need a Duty Manager? & Other Wedding BYO Questions Answered
Dunedin event coordinator Leah explains that assuming BYO is a cheaper option is a not a good idea. An expert in helping couples organise all details of their wedding day, Leah has seen couples get costly surprises when it comes to arranging their wedding BYO. She’s written a blog which is well worth reading: Does Your Venue Require a Duty Manager. We suggest you take a read if you're planning a BYO wedding, it is very helpful!
Other traps you will need to look out for are:
- You may need a special license from the Council if you BYO alcohol and then plan to sell it to guests to recoup the costs.
- It’s also good manners to let guests know before your wedding if you are planning on charging guests for their alcohol. Take a read of our article, Do I Need to Inform Guests It’s a Cash Bar Only? for details on how to do this.
- If you have a special license or liquor license, you will need to have a duty manager. Give Leah a call as this both the applying and complying with liquor licenses is something which Encore Events can help you with.
- Miscalculating how much alcohol you will need. Take a read of 'Buying Alcohol for a BYO Wedding' for tips or use the calculator in this worksheet for quantities to purchase beforehand.
- Organising your glassware can be hard to manage. Will you hire it and how much will you need? If you do not have enough, how are you going to clean it? Will you be able to wash it before returning the glassware?
- Some venues require couples who allow guests to BYO their alcohol to pay for or provide security to keep both people and property safe.
- Who will your bar staff be? They are required to follow the law in that intoxicated people cannot be served, shots must be measured accurately and only those above the legal drinking age are consuming alcohol.
If you’d like to keep things fuss and stress-free, then leave worries about the bar with Encore Events. Contact Leah today and know you can relax and just enjoy your wedding without having to worry about all the details.