Are you a bride-to-be that’s struggling to decide on just a couple of bridesmaids? Has the idea of a ton of bridesmaids appeal? In New Zealand at least, 3 bridesmaids tends to be the typical number. The wedding blogs I read out of the USA seem to have much bigger wedding parties – with 10 bridesmaids not too uncommon. It leads me to wonder – how many bridesmaids is too many?
For me, I settled on two and that was enough. For you, the number may be a lot bigger, or it can even be 0! It’s up to you – how many bridesmaids you decide to have depends on a number of factors: cultural, financial, social… how many siblings you have, how many groomsmen your groom wants… it’s it’s the bride’s choice. Don’t worry about what other people think.
It’s up to you how many is too many – remember it is your day. Don’t just have a bunch of bridesmaids to keep other people happy.
The logistics of having lots of bridesmaids
If you are going to have a lot of bridesmaids – I’d think through the logistics carefully. If you are having 10 for example, that’s at least 11 people to get hair and makeup done on the day. That’s 10 dresses and shoes for 10 different body types to think about. That’s a lot more time to get ready too.
Bridesmaids usually stay with the bride the night before – if you’re having a big bridal party, you might struggle to find somewhere you can all bunk down. You don’t want to isolate some of the bridesmaids by having them miss out on a sleepover.
Some often forgotten about costs with having a large wedding party
- Additional transport to the wedding – you might need to arrange/hire another car or two (a major reason why we only had 2 attendants each in our wedding party)
- Flowers/buttonholes. My bridesmaid’s bouquets were $80 each, so if you’re having 10 bridesmaid – it’s not an insignificant amount.
- Extra “gifts” and jewellery for each bridesmaid (often the gift for a bridesmaid is jewellery, hence why they share a bullet point)
- Photography – large wedding parties mean more time to pose, get round the photo locations, and more time taking photos
- Extra time and money for getting hair, makeup and dressing done
How many bridesmaids do you think is “the perfect amount”?